Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bartering Like a Grown Ass Man

For a grown ass man there is one thing that is imperative that you must know how to do: barter. Bartering, trading, "wheeling and dealing," is part of what makes a grown ass man a grown ass man. The great thing about bartering is that it can be for anything. Take for example the guy who traded a paperclip for a house. I met several grown ass men recently who have bartered for hospital bills, one of them being a serious heart surgery. These are men who could make things happen through the art of the trade.

It is in our nature as grown ass men to look for a deal. Think all the way back to our days on the frontier in America. Bartering is how you survived. "Yeah, I'll give you one box of bullets for 30 lbs of food. I just hope my kids don't get dysentery. Absolutely I'm going to try to ford the river and if I wasn't going to ford I'd at least try to caulk my wagon. I don't need to pay you money to ride your ferry across. I'm a doctor/carpenter/farmer by trade so I can handle it." (As you can see, the Old West was very similar to the game Oregon Trail.) Or what about when you were young in the lunch room and somehow were able to turn a PB&J and a juice box into a lunchables pepperoni pizza and a capri sun. Score!

You see, bartering is exactly what a grown ass man does because it involves so many things. There is the thrill of the pursuit of the thing you desire, plus you get to work on the art of persuasion. You are able to get something new and exciting without sacrificing much at all. Plus there is always a gamble that the offer you put forward will be completely denied by your trading partner. Here is a brief step-by-step process of how a grown ass man gets what he wants through bartering.

Step 1: Identify what it is you want to trade for
Step 2: Find something of little or some value to you and make it seem interesting
Step 3: Convince your trade partner that they can live without their thing, but not without yours
Step 4: If necessary, throw in some arbitrary statement to close the deal like "oh and next time we're out I'll buy you a beer" or "you know you won't be able to find another deal like this"
Step 5: Complete transaction, bask in your grown ass manhood

If this seems a bit confusing, just read chapter two in Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. That should give you a good start.

No comments: